This position is not available
Unfortunately, this position is no longer accepting applications. For more opportunities, please visit our Join the Team page!
AidData produces novel data, tools, and research that answers the question: who is funding, what, where, for whom, and to what effect around the world? AidData has an explicit focus on data and research that meets high academic standards but is also accessible and relevant for a broad audience of international relations practitioners, policymakers, journalists, and scholars. AidData’s work is made possible by generous financial support of international organizations such as the World Bank and United Nations, private philanthropies such as the Hewlett and Gates Foundations, and government agencies such as the US Department of State and USAID.
The Communications Associate (CA) position supports the implementation of AidData’s strategic communications efforts. This position has a writing and social media emphasis. The CA serves as a content creator and curator for an array of AidData communications platforms including digital and print media. This position is also responsible for organizing information that feeds into communications deliverables such as AidData websites, publications, reports to funders. The CA reports to the communications manager.
This position is based at AidData at William & Mary's Global Research Institute in Williamsburg, Virginia. This is a full-time position, and salary is commensurate with experience in the range of $32,240 - $46,200. This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding. This position is remote-work eligible (works remotely at least 1 day per week but not full-time). Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval.
- Education:Bachelors degree in a relevant field (e.g. Journalism, Public Relations, Communication)
- Experience: Professional relevant experience, including evidence of existing and potential skills related to the job duties ·
- Audience/Outreach: working knowledge of social media and email outreach platforms; ability to handle professional correspondence, write press releases, source, draft, and edit social media posts, and create social media toolkits ·
- Content Creation: working knowledge of a content management systems, data visualization tools, and web analytics platforms, and ability to apply techniques for effective written and visual communications. ·
- Corporate Communications: Strong organizational skills, general knowledge of marketing and branding principles, and ability to manage spreadsheets and create presentations ·
- Publications Support: Excellent proofreading skills and ability to apply rules of standard English grammar to prepare a manuscript for formatting
- Leadership and Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to collaborate with team members and behave respectfully towards others; demonstrates a commitment to W&M and AidData’s mission, vision, and impact.
- Experience: Significant relevant professional experience, including demonstrated evidence of skills creating written content for a policy or research audience and promoting research on social media
- Audience/Outreach: Experience with of digital environment; experience maintaining, importing and exporting contact data; demonstrated ability to craft compelling email copy and social media posts
- Content Creation: Demonstrated ability to create a content calendar that aligns with priorities and events, synthesize research findings into a press release, and craft compelling data visualizations
- Corporate Communications: Experience with information architecture, indicator tracking, and version control; ability to articulate key messages visually and in writing
- Publications Support: Track record of intensive application of text-editing principles, visual information design and publication layout
- Website/Technical: Basic knowledge of principles of website design, SEO, accessibility, and how these issues affect content and user engagement
For more details and to apply, please visit the position listing at the William & Mary Employment Opportunities portal. There, click Apply for this Job to apply with your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (preferably a blog post or press release). This position closes at 11:59pm on Jun 2, 2023.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching, and service missions of the university. William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.