This position is not available
Unfortunately, this position is no longer accepting applications. For more opportunities, please visit our Join the Team page!
Training and Instructional Design Manager
The Global Research Institute (GRI) at William & Mary invites applications for the newly created position of Training and Instructional Design Manager supporting AidData. The goal of this position is to expand AidData’s broader outreach efforts towards policymakers and professional audiences on critical global issues. The Training and Instructional Design Manager builds the infrastructure for digital learning, including a library of video and recorded trainings accessible through a fee system. The Training and Instructional Design Manager works across AidData to develop online and in-person trainings, professional learning experiences ,and curricula on topics relevant to AidData’s mission and expertise. This represents a new service and revenue stream for AidData.
As both an operational and consultative designer, the Training and Instructional Design Manager leads the development and production of AidData’s nascent Economics and Data Journalism offering, with a focus on the overseas economic footprint of China. AidData staff provides the core of the content. The Training and Instructional Design Manager applies their knowledge of instructional design theory, models, and best practices of online and hybrid course development. The primary audience is journalists in the Global South, and it is expected to expand and include policymakers, civil society.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Investigate and plan the best means by which to take the AidData concept and pilot to scale.
- Conduct market research to identify ideal revenue models and likely learner markets for the service
- Collaborate with AidData staff to provide guidance on maximizing the effectiveness and reach of content in the development of courses and curricula.
- Establish and capitalize on relationships with William & Mary units and educators, including but not limited to GRI, The Studio for Teaching & Learning Innovation, Information Technology, School of Education, individual academic departments including economics, data science, etc.
- Develop and implement a plan for collaborative online platform-based learning, in partnership with W&M’s professional digital learning and/or other academic units. This could take the form of live video lectures and guest lectures, online tutorials, and/or evergreen on-demand micro-courses hosted by AidData/W&M, with a series of recorded lectures, readings and assignments.
- Forge new and augment existing partnerships with Global South training hosting institutions such as schools of journalism.
- Develop a fundraising plan to bring in new revenue. This will include conceptualizing and implementing the marketing and communications of the service.
This position is based at AidData at William & Mary's Global Research Institute in Williamsburg, Virginia. This is a full-time position, and salary is commensurate with experience in the U12 range (see Salary Structure for University Employees), starting from $65,292 up to $75,000. This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding. This position is remote-work eligible (works remotely at least 1 day per week but not full-time). Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval.
- Master’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Professional certification in education, instructional design, instructional learning or educational technology
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Significant experience managing and delivering technology-based educational programs and curricula.
- Expertise and hands-on knowledge of the technologies, programs, and tools used to deliver online professional education and training.
- Demonstrated ability to implement a variety of creative techniques and processes to design and build high quality instructional content and experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of the team with a wide variety of experts with diverse backgrounds to provide and receive ongoing feedback.
- A self-starter who has experience taking a pilot program and expanding upon it, from concept through to implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and to foster and maintain collegial relationships with a diverse population of constituencies to include, faculty, staff, students, and internal and external stakeholders.\
- Demonstrated ability to utilize highly effective organizational skills, time management skills, meet deadlines and navigate multiple projects and related details in a fast-paced environment.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design or related field from an accredited institution with extensive on-the-job experience in the field of instructional design.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Experience planning and implementing an instructional program from design to execution
- Experience in the business of professional online training
- International experience and/or cross-cultural fluency.
- Experience developing a fundraising plan to bring in new revenue.
For more details and to apply, please visit the position listing at the William & Mary Employment Opportunities portal. There, click Apply for this Job to apply with your resume/curriculum vitae and cover letter. This position closes at 11:59pm on May 31, 2023.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching, and service missions of the university. William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.